Sunday, December 13, 2009

Future Post Subjects

My next posts will include the lost art of estimating division problems....so many people have used a calculator since the 5th grade that they have forgotten how to estimate each digit of the quotient in a division problem...I will review that process of estimating in each step of the division process.

I will also be talking about the most common mistakes that I have seen students make on the TABE test (the current test that is suppose to indicate a student's readiness in taking and passing the GED) As with all multiple choice tests, sometimes a student can make a pure guess at an answer and get it correct without having any idea of how to actually calculate to get the answer...and sometimes a student can have a good understanding of how to work a problem but miss it because of a careless error like miscopying a number...I can tell more about what a student knows about a mathematical process by looking at their scratch paper on which they did their calculations (which I do) than I can by looking at the wrong answer they picked...unfortunately the TABE test results do not even tell you the test takers actual response to a question, it only tells you what kind of problem they did not answer correctly. In mathematics, I am not a very big fan of multiple choice questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment